Brand-new DELHI: The juvenile convicted in the gang-rape and murder of a paramedical student in Delhi three years ago, will be released today. The Supreme Court refused the dramatic post-midnight move of the Delhi Commission for Women (DCW) to stay his release by giving an urgent hearing.
The parents of Nirbhaya, the December 16 Delhi gang-rape victim, have actually said that they will hold a protest again on Sunday at Jantar Mantar versus the juvenile’s release.
The parents of the victim had earlier decided to hold the protest at the India Gate, but because of the imposition of Section 144 in the area, they were not allowed.
A vacation bench comprising Justices A K Goel and U U Lalit in their order pronounced at 2am on Sunday, posted the matter for hearing on Monday. The special leave petition filed by DCW versus the order of the Delhi high court, which refused to restrain the release of the convict, was referred by the Chief Justice of India T S Thakur before the vacation bench.
The grounds which has actually been taken in the appeal versus the High Court order says that no mental assessment of the state of mind of the juvenile offender has actually been taken into account for his release.
DCW chief Swati Maliwal hoped that the juvenile offender in the December 16 gangrape case will not walk free today as scheduled as her plea versus his release will be heard by the Supreme Court tomorrow.
Meanwhile, a day before his scheduled release, the juvenile convict was moved from Delhi on Saturday. The convict, who is now 20 years old and was known to be the most brutal of the attackers, has actually been taken to an undisclosed location amid concerns that there was a threat to his life.
The parents of the gang-rape victim, along along with 40 students, were detained on Saturday by the police as they staged a protest versus the release of the juvenile convict. The police action was condemned by Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal. Police, however, denied they were detained.